Cytology for the Detection of Early Recurrence of Gynecologic Cancer in the Vaginal Vault

ISSN: 2212-3334 (Online)
ISSN: 1872-2148 (Print)

Volume 11, 2 Issues, 2017

Download PDF Flyer

Recent Patents on Endocrine, Metabolic & Immune Drug Discovery

This journal supports open access

Aims & ScopeAbstracted/Indexed in

Submit Abstracts Online Submit Manuscripts Online

View Full Editorial Board

Subscribe Purchase Articles Order Reprints

Cytology for the Detection of Early Recurrence of Gynecologic Cancer in the Vaginal Vault

Recent Patents on Endocrine, Metabolic & Immune Drug Discovery, 8(2): 135-139.

Author(s): Lucia A.S. Lara, Jurandyr M. de Andrade and Francisco JC dos Reis.

Affiliation: Av. Bandeirantes, 3900. Monte Alegre, Ribeirão Preto, SP, CEP, 14049-900, Brazil.


Objective: The real benefit of follow-up cervical cytology in women treated for gynecological cancer is unclear. This study was designed to assess the rate of success of cytological examinations in the detection of early vaginal recurrence of gynecological cancer in women found by other methods to have vaginal recurrence of cervical and endometrial cancer. Data Sources: Records of cytological examinations. Study Selection: Thirty-three women treated for early and invasive cervical and endometrial cancer with recurrence in the vaginal vault were retrospectively analyzed. Data Extraction: Records from 1979 to 2010. Data Synthesis: Sixteen women (48.5%) had symptomatic vaginal recurrence associated with distant metastases, whereas 17 (51.5%) had vaginal recurrence only. Cytology was negative in 12 women (36.4%) with both symptomatic and asymptomatic recurrence and positive in the other 21 (63.6%). In 9 of these 21 women (42.9%), the disease was limited to the vaginal vault, whereas the remaining 12 (57.1%) presented with vaginal lesions associated with distant metastases. Cytology was positive in 9 of the 17 (52.9%) women whose recurrence was limited to the vaginal vault and negative in 8 (47.1%). Conclusion: Vaginal cytology yielded false-negative results in almost half of the women with vaginal recurrence of gynecological cancer. Patents of methods used for early diagnosis and detection of immortalization of cervical cancer are also reviewed in this article.


Cancer screening tests, cervical cancer, endometrium, metastasis, PAP smear, vagina.

Purchase Online Order Reprints Order Eprints Rights and Permissions

Article Details

Volume: 8
Issue Number: 2
First Page: 135
Last Page: 139
Page Count: 5
DOI: 10.2174/1872214808666140715092054
Price: $100
Global Biotechnology Congress 2017Drug Discovery and Therapy World Congress 2017

Related Journals

Related eBooks

Webmaster Contact: Copyright © 2017 Bentham Science